We are a network of current and former priests, women religious, brothers, deacons, and laypersons who actively support survivors of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. Please write to us. Many of us have reported instances of sexual abuse to civil or church authorities, and we all struggle to expose the cover-up of abuse by church leadership. We are aware of how difficult it is to speak out on this issue, and we support each other in that effort.
1) To other current or former church insiders who have sought to stop abusers, prevent abuse, or support survivors, we offer a network of peers who understand. To those who have been marginalized or have suffered serious consequences because of their brave acts, we provide moral and canonical support.
2) We also provide support for all people in the Catholic Church who wish to speak out about abuse, but are daunted by the repercussions. By advocating for whistleblowers, we aim to create a culture in which honest action is possible.
Catholic Whistleblowers emerged from years of friendships and months of planning and conversation. Reporter Laurie Goodstein of the New York Times was present at some of those discussions. Her "Church Whistle-Blowers Join Forces on Abuse," published on May 20, 2013, gives a sense of our process and goals.
David Cruz of NJ Today filed an informative story and video, "Church Sex-Abuse Victims Call on Dolan to Advocate for Myers' Ouster," providing excerpts of our first press conference on May 22, 2013.
• Letter to Pope Francis, Catholic Whistleblowers, April 29, 2013
• In Praise of Catholic Whistleblowers, by Rod Dreher, The American Conservative, May 21, 2013
• Real Christian Heroes Step Forward, by Michael D'Antonio, Huffington Post, May 21, 2013
• When the Church Can't Police Itself, Call in the Whistle-Blowers, by Scott Alessi, U.S. Catholic, May 2013
• Sheboygan Priest Founds Group to Help Crack Down on Sex Abuse, by Chuck Quirmbach, Wisconsin Public Radio and Superior Telegram, May 22, 2013
• Priests, Nuns Form Group to Keep Church Honest on Sex Abuse Issues, by Ben Feuerherd, National Catholic Reporter, May 24, 2013
• Padres e Freiras Criam Grupo contra Abuso Sexual na Igreja nos EUA, by Amanda Gigliotti, Christian Post, May 29, 2013 [Priests and Nuns Create Group against Sexual Abuse in the Church in the U.S.]
• Newark Shows Need for Transparency, Editorial, National Catholic Reporter, June 1, 2013
Contact us at email@example.com.